Monday, April 21, 2014

Grade 8 Science - Destination Imagination

OIn Sciece today students had a Destination Imagination 'lesson'. Today's challenge is to make a device to move objects from one container to another. Students could choose from plastic spoons, newspaper, elastic bands, clothespin, string, wooden dowels, and a variety of other items to build their device.

The point of DI is for students to solve challenges with little or not help from thei teacher. The teacher sets the challenge, the students work together as a team to come up with a solution. Students are given marks based on a rubric to get a grade for their device they built and how efficient their design is. 

DI is a great and fun class to watch. Students are engaged and have fun together. It is totally student centred as teachers can't help with the design process. It's all student led. 

This is what students say about DI:

Zach.C-  It's fun and it's hands on work and instead of sitting in class writing on paper you are having fun'

Sierra. R - I like it but I find it hard to come up with ideas right away 

Salina- I like D.I because it help me have a lot I fun and use my creative thinking to do the challenges

To learn more about Destination Imagination click here:

Pictures from today's challenge:



Teamwork is a big part of DI:




No comments:

Post a Comment